Thursday, April 12, 2012

Three Months Old


I said it before.  I'll say it again.
WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?
I really cannot believe you're three months old.  This past 13 weeks has FLOWN by.

You seem to change and develop every day.

You love to lie on your play mat.  Some of your best friends hang from the raptors: Mr. Owl, Mrs. Squirrel, and Ms. Birdy.  You get so excited when I first lay you down.  You instantly start socializing, chattering away and swinging your arms.

You're so VERY close to rolling over.  Front to back or back to front; it's a 50/50 shot.  Any day now.

You're still a great sleeper.  Always 8 hours a night.  We just moved you into your crib this week.  But you will only sleep there at night.  You still favor your bassinet for daytime naps.

Turns out most baby clothes are short and fat.  This poses an issue because you are tall and thin.  Pants end up being clam-diggers on you and long-sleeved tees turn into quarter-length shirts.

You can pick Dad & I out in a room in no time.  While you love all of our family and friends, you favor us.  And I'm not going to lie.  I like that.  If you start to get fussy in the arms of someone else, it secretly thrills me when I rescue you and you calm right down.  That's my girl.

You recognize certain catch phrases that Dad & I use often.  For instance, when Dad changes your diaper he always concludes with a high-pitched rendition of the Flashdance song, Maniac.  He moves your legs up and down really fast while singing, 'She's a maniac, maniac on the floor.  And she's dancing like she's never danced before.'  You laugh hysterically.  It's a special time for you and Tata.

We've noticed you noticing the television.  When this happens, I usually move you down to the floor.  But tricky you will move yourself around until you can see the picture again.  You are so smart ... and a PBS junkie.

When I'm talking on the phone I'll prop you up in my lap so that you are facing me.  You think I'm talking to you and laugh and chuckle and talk right back.  You go for minutes and minutes.

You will look at the pictures in a book when I read to you.  I like this.  Readers are leaders.

If we situate you just right on the couch cushions you will sit up by yourself.  I'm pretty sure you have abs of steel.

With ALL of this going on, your favorite thing BY FAR is STANDING.  One day I was reading in a book that most newborns your age will grab your fingers so that you can lift them up into a sitting position.  The first time I did this you straightened your legs out immediately so that you were standing tall.  You laughed and looked around with bright eyes.  You've been standing ever since.

When you cry, your lower lip pouts out and you look so sad.  But for some reason, Dad & I laugh ... for just a second.

You have still only eaten breast milk.  I must admit that I have spilled the occasional drink or grape jelly on your face.  But I'm pretty sure none ever went in your mouth.

You wiggle a lot.  We still swaddle you at night time or else you would hit yourself in the face and wake yourself up.

With your active body, bright eyes, inquisitive looks, and intense interaction Dad & I think you are advanced. (I think all parents think that of their babies.  But in our case, it's the truth)

Dad & I had to make a very important decision recently.  Whether I would go back to work or not.  Turns out you & I get to spend every day together and my career will just have to wait for now.  Even though there will be less money in our bank account and not as many fancy clothes and toys, we are some of the lucky ones.

We think you are perfect.

We think you are the most beautiful baby we've ever seen.

We love you like crazy.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Mel this post made me cry...and maybe even a lot there at the end! Some of the "lucky ones" indeed me dear. I was sorta waiting for this post to be honest..made me heart smile. Take it from me...you won't regret your decision:)